6/05/2008

Thursday 13 - Emergency Kit

Hi! Here is Part B of my Public Service Announcement. This Thursday 13 is a rerun, but still important. This is MY very own emergency kit. Mommy got the info from the HSUS website and their First Aid book.


1. A tiny flashlight to inspect my ears, eyes, paws etc. for injuries / splinters
2. A blunt tipped tweezers (so if I jerk my head or paw it won't jab me)
3. A GREAT IDEA for a stretcher that mommy got from my first aid book (see below) - A cutting board wrapped in a towel to transport me to the vet
4. Extra lint free white towels to put over me when I'm on the board & masking tape* (over the towel - not my fur) to keep me still
5. Plastic eyedropper or syringe
6. Gauze pads in case of injuries & gauze on a roll to wrap injuries
7. Sterile saline solution
8. Hydrogen peroxide (helps with making kitties vomit)
9. Neosporine for minor scratches and cuts
10. Strips of cotton to use as a muzzle to help them treat me and I can't bite
11. Cotton balls and swabs
12. Ice pack
13. Scissors

She also included: A good pet first-aid book (mine is the First Aid Companion for Dogs and Cats by Amy Shojai) & a Home Veterinary Handbook, My Vet and the Nearest Emergency Vet Clinic's Phone Numbers, The poison-control center or hotline, and copies of my rabies vaccination status & copies of my important medical records.


The large first aid kit that has the red on it in the background (for "effect") is the Red Cross/Target emergency kit. It is a great starter kit for beans for a good price of $29.99.

Three notes!
First, nothing, nothing, nothing can replace good vet care. If you hurt yourself bad or feel really icky, make sure your beans call the vet. Notice most of this kit is just to get me to the vet safely!

Second, a great list for what should be in your kit (and they list kitties & woofies) can be found on the Humane Society of the United States' website - hsus.org (look up "first aid" in the search box)

Third, the Red Cross has wonderful disaster prep lists. Even if you live where we do and don't get lotsa natural disasters, a chemical spill into the air from a passing train or something can force an evacuation.

Be prepared!

30 comments:

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Dis is good information Hendrix...mom haf two bins: one is emergency medical and da other is so we can eat, sleep, potty and play while away from home. She's even gots a emerjencee plastic money card in da medical one fur paying an emerjencee vet if necessary! She's constantly thinking of stuff dat needs to be added...

PB 'n J said...

Oh the extra plastic Money Card is a good idea. We really need to get Mommy on this!

Tybalt said...

Great list and very helpful, Hendrix!

Parker said...

:::Clap Clap Clap:::
I am glad that you did this, I bet you help a lot of kitties get emergency stuff ready, just in case...

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

This was great information Thank you Mr. Hendrix...your Mom is prepared.

Purrs
Abby

Asta said...

MrHendwix
That is the most helpful infowmation on emewgency kits!!! I hope you nevew have to use it..but it suwe is good to be pwepawed!
Youw Mom is vewy clevew!!!
Daddi is bettew and bettew , so I'm happy
smoochie kisses
ASTA

Daisy said...

Being prepared is very, very important! Thanks for the good list.

Mr. Echo said...

That is furry good advice. We had a bad storm roll in a wile bak and Mommy called on the fone and tole us to run for the klosit. Its whare we hide when skairy things happin. But we wuz fine. Thanks for the publik servis annowncmint.

Lux said...

Very very helpful! Thank you ... :)

Ana said...

What a great emergency kit you have!

Thanks for the info, Mr. Hendrix!

Fat Eric said...

Your mum is very very organised!

zevo hussein calamari said...

What a good scout you would make! Be Prepared!

Wow.. that is most excellent info. You have reminded us to nag our pet human to make one and keep it in the car.

Also, our pet human took the pet CPR class and everyone should know that Red Cross evacuations centers will not allow any pooses in them. So your pet humans must find other places to go to. It sucks.

River said...

Thanks for visiting us! My mom grew up with cats, dogs, horses and wolves (timber). We like all animals. This is a great post about emergency preparedness. We have tornadoes in Georgia.

love & wags,
River

Tommy and Teaghan said...

We finks we amember dat list. It got us tinking of what to put in owr own stockpile. Fanks for remindin us.

michico*Adan*Lego-小芥*阿丹*樂高 said...

I think it's very useful to me as well~ Thanks for the information!

Ivan from WMD said...

Great information!

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

WOW! Um, really, "wow". We gotta get that stuff. We haf some a it, but not most.

Gattina said...

Ha ! all my cats disappeared in various directions when I read your post, lol ! Apparently they hate 1st aid kits !

Simba and Jazzi said...

The only first aid kit I have is, pick up Simba, chuck in car, drive to vets. I need to have a word with my humans.

Simba x

snowforest said...

It is a very useful list ~ thanks for this informative post Hendrix ~ sending you many purrs from everybody here at the SnowForest family :)

Rosemary B❤️ said...

This is a superb help. I think I should get my mom to make emergency kits. Wonnnnderful pictures.
I am very happy that you did not get a tornado close to your house. we also had very bad weather and we were spared. Rain is nice and necessary but storms are scary!
Love Princess

Camp Stanhope Happenings said...

Yikes. We've had cats for 30 years (we currently have 3) and even though they don't really have any 'special' needs, I never thought to make an emergency kit for them, too. Thanks for the info!

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

You are ready for an emergency, good for you.
--JB

Forty Paws said...

Very good list Mr. Hendrix. Indeed.

Luf, Us

Maya and Kena said...

We look up to you fur being prepared for anything. We should probably do the same.
Wags and licks,
Maya and Kena

Sabrina, Sam and Simon said...

Mr. Hendrix, that is a great list to have! We need to get one prepared, or we should say Momma needs to ... hee hee! Bye the way, did your Mom get you a leopard print tent like ours yet??? We hope so!
Purrs and headbutts,
Sabrina, Sam and Simon

muffinmidi said...

That wasn anvey good two part post.
Your lucky to make a mommy that's so well-prepared.Those storms are very scary.I hope ypou didn't have any badweather over the weekend?

The Whiskers and Purrs Gang said...

Dearest Hendrix,
Thank you for this very very VERY important information! We is sure it will be very helpful to lotsa peoples!

Thanks for your comment on our bloggy! We actually have been postin' every day...sometimes our posts ain't so good, though...mommy has been puttin' in lotsa hours at work and we is usally so tired of waitin' on her that we just don't gots lots to say by the time she gits here.

Thanks again for stoppin' by our bloggy!!!

Very truly yours,
The Whiskers & Purrs Gang

Sassy Kat said...

I didn't know that they had emergency kits for us furries. Great idea and good information to know about. Hopefully those that we know and love won't need such a thing but it is a good thing to have just in case.

Poppy Q said...

Wowsie Hendrix that is one big box of stuff for you. My mum has a mergency bag of stuff for me. But seeing how prepared you is, I am gonna make her update it all.

Good luck and we hopes you has no mergencies to deal with.