6/04/2008

Weather Wednesday early Thursday 13 (Part 1)

Wow! What a crazy night! All day we had storms across our area. Really nasty ones with lotsa wind and stuff. Last night my beans had gotten all ready for bed and were settling in to watch Reaper when they heard the weather sirens outside going off!
Then our weather alert radio went off! Next thing I know, I'm being shoved in my PTU and run to the basement. The beans turned the TV on and sure enough, a nasty tornado type storm was headed our way. Luckily it turned left and went up toward Oxford and no one was hurt. We are unsure of damages tho. Our immediate area is fine tho.

Here is me in our "safe area" (still stuffed bit from the sewer water incident). This brings me to an important Public Service Announcement. One I've actually done before.


See the plastic bin I'm on? Well, that is my emergency evacuation kit. All cats, woofies, buns, birds, beans etc should be sure to have an emergency evacuation kit.

Here are photos of some things in my kit.

Emergency supply kits for cats should include:
1. A three-day supply of food and drinking water, as well as bowls
- I have special food because of my FIV & IBS. Mommy has this food in my kit and will rotate it with fresh bags/cans periodically so they don't expire. I also used these bowls when I was first brought home (I didn't come downstairs often
so mommy put bowls upstairs and downstairs for me - the point is they smell like my stuff already.)


2. Current photos and physical descriptions (not a problem with my mommy)

3. Cats should wear a collar and ID tag (I'm ID collared AND microchipped!)

4. Medications, vaccination records, license and first aid supplies (my evacuation kit is in with my emergency first aid kit)

5. Sturdy carrier to transport cats safely as well as blankets or towels for bedding and warmth (My carrier stays in the basement.

6. Carriers should be large enough to comfortably house your cat for several days and to allow for separate areas for elimination (litter in a small litter box) and feeding (We don't have this, but we do have a smaller litterbox, a small bag of my litter and liners to take wherever we go - both our families live close so hopefully I wouldn't be in a carrier long)

7. Mommy made sure to put in catnip! I think I'd need that in case of emergency.

8. Toys, she put extras of my favorite toys in the box so I'd have something familiar with

9. A blanket that smells like home. I love my Purdue blanket so it can't get packed away. Mommy bought a blanket of the same fabric and after I lay on it for a while, she'll put that in the bin.

10. Stress can cause us kitties to get upset tummies. Mommy also included the hairball goopy stuff for me! I do love my Laxitone, yum yum.

11. Cat litter (I use Feline Pine) and a container to be used as a litter box (Mommy bought a small uncovered one to fit in the bin, but isn't sure I'll use it if I ever have to...

12. An extra pair of nail clippers,blood stopper and soft paws (In case we can't get back to our house, it will keep her from having to buy all new things - remember, I'm a scratcher and I'm good at getting soft paws off and if we're staying with someone...)

13. My Science Diet TD treats. They are good for my teeths and tasty too.

The Humane Society of the US also gives tips on evacuating with dogs, birds, reptiles and other animals. Be sure to read up on this! Also, we didn't realize how many types of emergencies there are, for example, "Shelter In Place." Visit the Red Cross to see what disasters can hit your area so you're ready.

Let's not forget Peace today. Everyone take just one minute and send a peaceful thought into the universe. It will connect with other peaceful thoughts and maybe, will catch on all around the world and we'll all have peace.

33 comments:

Tybalt said...

It is good to see that you are so prepared! I will have to speak to my mommy about this.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are all OK -- my human is old enough to remember the disaster in Xenia. Thanks for posting that information. We all can learn to be prepared for severe weather.

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Those are great things to have in a kit, except for the collar part. We can't wear collars, because it would rub our skin raw and cause problems. But we are microchipped.

We are glad to hear you are okay! Those storms sound scary!

Gemini and Ichiro said...

What an excellent evacuation kit you have!

Peace to you all as well.

Parker said...

We have a similar set up. Mommy prays that nothing happens 'cause there are 4 of us Diamond. She and Daddy have discussed how to handle gathering us up in case of an emergency.
Peace to you my feline brother!

catsynth said...

Peace to you, Mr Hendrix (and Bendrix, too ;)

We're glad you are all OK after the storms, and those are great suggestions. We are thinking more about earthquake safety in our new home, and should put together a kit and a plan like yours

The Meezers or Billy said...

we are so glad you are safe. excellent excellent announcement.

Peace to you all!

PB 'n J said...

We are so relieved that you are all ok - Mommy and George were watching the news last night and worrying about all our friends in Ohio!

It's good that you are so prepared, our Mommy keeps saying she's gonna do that, but...

Peace, love and purrs to you all!

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Mr Hendrix
We live in Florida so your idea of an emergency kit fits right in with our Momma. She is going to make sure we all have enough food and everything in case we were without electricity for awhile. She has all the other stuff (she says) that we need were we all to have to leave. But she worries about taking all 5 of us at once, but what has to happen will...

We are glad you are OK!

May peace follow you....
Peace~filled Purrs

Blogging for Peace
Purrs
Abby
Boo
Ping
Jinx
and Gracie

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Mom has us all set up like dat too. It's hard fur 3 kitties to haf enuff stuff in bins so she uses dem giant storage tubs. We hafn't visited fur awhile so we hadda catch up on what's been going on...we see yoor beans were bizzy and, holy cats, dey gots yoor claws clipped!

Ivanhoe said...

Sending you a peaceful thought from NE Ohio!

Daisy said...

Gosh, how scairty! I am glad you are safe. That is a very important PSA. My Mommie and Daddie have a hurricane supply kit, but it does not have any cat stuff in it! (yet).

Sunny's Mommy said...

It's a good thing your Mommy and Daddy are prepared. We're getting some story weather today but very thankfully not as bad as what you got yesterday.

Queen Snickers, Empress and Princess Renna said...

That is very good information! Momma is going to do that, I have to have special food or I get sick. We also have to have special litter or she gets sick! Thanks!

HRH Yao-Lin said...

I need an emergency escape kit for when baby mao does one of his legendary toxic poos.

No, really I do! That is a disaster! x

Mickey's Musings said...

Peace ,Love and Rock'n Roll!!

Purrs Mickey ,Georgia & Tillie

PeeEss: I am very thankful you are OK!! That is a great PSA. WE in Canada were given a website to see
www.getprepared.ca , because you never know!! THat is a great liks you have,I think Mom will copy it!!! Purrs :)

Sandee said...

Peace to you and yours. :)

Unknown said...

OMG - Weather sirens?! Weather alert radio?! Safe area?! Evacuation kit?!

I am pretty sure we don't have weather sirens or weather alert areas where I live and Mum and I don't have a safe area or an evacuation kit. I guess it depends on what area you live in, but it sounds awfully scairty!

The evacuation kit sounds like a good idea, I will tell my Mum about it.

Goldie, Shade and Banshee said...

That was a great report! I am glad you and your beans are OK.

Wonderful Globe, my friend.

~Goldie

MaoMao said...

Oh wowie, how skeery about alla the storms! We Ballicai are so glad that you are okay. And what an ecksellent postie you made about bein prepared in an emergency.

What a superduper peace globe! Let there be peace!

Kittyhugs and purrs from MaoMao!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for an excellent and informative post, and I'm so glad you are okay. How frightening, when weather gets so bad!

What a beautiful peace globe -- Pax Vobiscum!

And *giggle*, my googliness has worn off -- I am no longer seeing purple elephants. *smile*!

Purrs and snuggles from Marilyn!

Just Ducky said...

Let's be Paws for Peace.

you must be a boy scout, you are prepared.

Chrissie said...

Those are all very good prep tips, Hendrix..my mom is embarrassed she does not have a "bug-out" kit ready for me, especially since we live in tornado alley and I could get sucked up!

meemsnyc said...

Hendrix, we are so glad that the tornado did not come your way. That is a great kit your beans put together. We will put one together too.

That monkey scene in Indiana Jones was definitely laughable. I kept thinking, who's idea was that? Lucas or Spielberg? Are they for real??

Forty Paws said...

Wowee! We're glad you guys didn't get blown away!

Happy Peace Day to each and efurrybody!

Luf, Us

KC and the Giggleman Kitties said...

Grrreat post, Mr. Hendrix. It's an FSA, Feline Service Announcement.
And great Peace Globe.
Happy Blogblast for Peace Day...
Love from The Sherwood Bunch:
Missy Blue Eyes,
KC,
Faith Boomerang,
Sol,
Smokey,
BJ
and Mommie ML

pee ess: Faith Boomerang said she is so honored by your favorable observations of her creative expressions.

KC and the Giggleman Kitties said...

We have an award for you on our blog.
ML

Dr Tweety of da Fab Five said...

Yikes Mr Hendrix!!!! Dat iz a itty bitty bit worrysome. I waz stoppin' by to wishy you peaz & I saw dis emerncee ting & da storm warnin'. Pleaze keep safe!!!! We lovez you.
Dr TWeety

Lux said...

Peace to you & yours,
Luxie

Jans Funny Farm said...

That is a really good idea. Your mom is smart!

Hehehe. We just had a vision of Jan preparing us for an emergency and 9 plastic bins piled up in the living room. (There's no room.)

Ivan from WMD said...

Oh, how scary, Hendrix! I'm glad you didn't all blow away--I'm not sure they have the internets in Oz.

We have emergency stuff in the closet with our carriers. (Actually, my mom has had this since 9-11.) The sky was so strange today that she wondered how she'd corral all of us and where we might take cover if we got tomatoes--we don't have a basement and the only really safe place would be the closet where our emergency stuff is! Oh well, I know my mom would take good care of us like your mom and dad did with you.

Travis Cody said...

I always worry about getting Mr Tucker out during a disaster. He's not fond of his crate so that makes him panic even more when things are unsettled.

Peace to you and yours.

Mimi Lenox said...

Mr. Hendrix you are looking mighty handsome on that peace globe.
Thank you for blogging for peace today!